Student Success – Access Lab

How can Hesston College help me succeed academically?

What is the Access Lab?

The Access Lab, located in Smith Center, serves as a flexible study place for students to connect with supportive faculty and gather with peers to work alone or in groups, meet with a tutor or instructor and seek academic direction. The Access Lab also serves as the campus computer lab and is open until midnight. Access staff members are also available to consult with individual students on time management and study strategies.

How do I request a peer tutor?

Tutors may be requested in the Access Lab for any course. Pairs or small groups of students meet one to three times per week to review course material, complete assignments or prepare for class. This is a free service to all students.

What is a Group Study Session?

A group study session meets regularly for designated courses to review and practice course concepts. Led by a peer facilitator who has experience in the course, group study sessions improve student performance by offering regularly scheduled, out-of-class review sessions for the courses which often challenge students the most. They are designed for all students enrolled in the course.

What does an advisor do?

An advisor helps you find your way in the world of academics. You will be assigned to one faculty member to whom you can go for course selection, understanding degree requirements, grades and transfer information. Your academic advisor is interested in your academic success at Hesston College. You may go to your advisor’s office anytime you have a question or concern about your classes or plan of study. First year students connect with their academic advisor each week for the first eight weeks of the semester.

Will someone monitor my academic progress?

Your professors and your academic advisor are very interested in your progress and success and can provide you with helpful information regarding your coursework. The offices of Academics, Global Engagement and residential life monitor students and devise creative plans to help support them in their academic and residential lives.

What if I have a documented disability?

Students with disabilities must share documentation of their disabilities from a qualified, licensed professional with the disability services coordinator to receive accommodations. Common accommodations include extended time or a quiet place to take exams, books in electronic format, note taking services or nutritional accommodations. To request accommodations, please complete this form.

Should I be in college if I don’t have a major?

For a student who is still deciding, being in college can actually be helpful in the decision-making process. Enrolling in general education and exploratory Courses at Hesston College introduces you to a variety of majors that you may have not previously considered. General education courses are the foundation for many college level degrees.

What is First-year Seminar?

First-year Seminar is a one credit course which is linked to a general education course taken in the first semester. This seminar offers information and skills needed to be a successful student in the context of a general education course. Several times during the semester, all first year students will meet as a group for common learning experiences such as forums or service activities.

What if I need help with my writing?

Writing Assistants are students who are trained to work with their peers in all stages of the writing process for assignments in any class. When you submit a rough draft for peer feedback and sign up for a conference time, fellows comment on your writing and suggest revisions for improvement. Writing Assistants also host in-class and out-of-class workshops on a variety of writing topics such as source integration, plagiarism and citation styles.