Studying abroad in Japan
Since 2017, Hesston College students have had the chance to earn four transferrable study-abroad credits in Japan during May Term. Coursework includes preparatory study of Japanese language and culture during the last eight weeks of the spring semester, as well as a three-week mini-term during which we visit multiple locations across the southern half of mainland Japan.
Hiroshima: City of Peace
Students will stay in Hiroshima for nine days, studying language and culture in cooperation with Hiroshima Shudo University. Extracurricular experiences will include staying in a traditional guest house, visiting the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, and exploring the island shrine of Miyajima.
Then it’s all aboard the high-speed train for a tour of culutral landmarks in six stunning cities, beginning on Kyushu, the southernmost island of mainland Japan.
Japanese Language Study
- Master essential grammar, vocabulary and phrases in spoken Japanese
- Learn to read all three Japanese phonetic syllabaries: hiragana, katakana and romaji
- Start down the path of ultimate Japanese literacy by studying beginning Kanji
- Practice speaking and listening with the many Japanese international students at Hesston College
- Navigate public transportation, restaurants, and other simple, everyday situations independently in spoken Japanese
- Forge lasting international relationships with host families in Karatsu and Osaka
Japanese Culture Study
- Visit multiple UNESCO World Heritage Sites spread across Japan
- Become acquainted with the varied landscapes, long history and ultra-modern cities of Japan
- Develop deeper understanding of East Asian cultures and history
- Form new relationships with Japanese student partners from Hiroshima Shudo University
- Earn four credits of transferrable study-abroad coursework
- Gain a broader worldview through fulfilling study and personal experience
How to sign up
May Term in Japan appears in the Hesston College course catalog as IDS 121, with space for up to 15 participants.
$2,300 plus airfare. This includes ground transportation and lodging, program fees and most meals. Please send notice of interest and any questions to André Swartley: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope to see you in Japan!