Campus Activities Board’s Minute to Win It
Send your ideas for a great campus activity to Makenna Grow and Gage Dowling, campus activities directors. Submissions can be as simple as, “I’d like to go bowling sometime soon,” or with more detail, like, “I think we should commemorate Hesston College’s history with a costume party. It could all take place in BSC with prizes for best costume (prize–dinner for two catered by a prof), most historically accurate (leftovers from the dinner for two) and wildest get-up (a pair of flip flops and an HC sweatshirt).”
Hesston College offers a variety of clubs for campus community participation:
- Anime club
- Chess Club
- Christian Athletes (in cooperation with Campus Ministries)
- Disc Golf
- Foodie Club
- Hesston College Flight Team
- International Club
- Knitting & Crochet
- Love In Action (in cooperation with Campus Ministries)
- Men’s Volleyball
- Sand Volleyball
- Sustainability Club
- Table Games
- Travel Kansas
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Women Supporting Women
10 things, 10 miles, $10 or less
Looking for something to do but you don’t want to pay a lot of money or spend a bunch of time in the car? Here are some options:
- Play some disc golf. There are courses in Hesston (including one on our campus!) and the nearby communities of Moundridge and Newton.
- Grab a coffee with friends at Lincoln Perk here in Hesston. The coffee is great, and so are the pastries!
- See a movie at Chisholm Trail 8 Theatre in nearby Newton. You get a discount with your student ID!
- Put in some reps on the free weights, rowing machines, treadmills and stationary bikes in the college’s new fitness facility. You can also purchase a membership ($50/semester) at the nearby Hesston Wellness Center to gain access to fitness classes including kick boxing as well as the pool, hot tub and fitness equipment, or visit the YMCA in Newton.
- Go for a walk or jog at Dyck Arboretum of the Plains or around Hesston’s walking paths. The arboretum is just a few blocks from campus and is open year round. Bring some stale bread to feed the fish and keep an eye out for Ralph, the manhole-sized snapping turtle that lives in the pond!
- Roast s’mores or hotdogs at the campus fire pit.
- Do some thrift shopping at the Et Cetera Shop in Newton. There might be vintage HC gear on the racks!
- Get in a round of campus golf – grab your tennis balls and golf club and take a shot at the student-made course.
- Satisfy your late night cravings and grab something to eat at Druber’s Donut Shop. Some people prefer regular donuts, but we’d suggest getting a squid if you’re looking for maximum glaze-to-dough ratio.
- Plan a getaway at the college’s cabin, Stutzman Retreat Center, for some time with friends off campus in beautiful rural Kansas.
And here a few ideas if you’re willing to go a little farther or pay a little more:
- Grab some food in Wichita’s Old Town district and then walk over to the Keeper of the Plains – do it at night for the full fiery experience on the banks of the Arkansas River.
- Visit Sedgwick County Zoo, an internationally recognized zoo in north Wichita. The new elephant and big cat exhibits are incredible!
- Explore the Flint Hills, a one-of-a-kind ecosystem that’s home to one of the last remaining stands of tallgrass prairie in the United States. Imagine the Shire from Lord of the Rings, but in Kansas!
- Check out Strataca, a museum located deep in a salt mine, or the Cosmosphere, a world class space museum, in Hutchinson.