FAQ for Parents

Students move in to Kauffman Court

The Hesston College health form and area health services

What Hesston College health forms are required?

All required health forms are available on our website and must be completed and returned before move in. Immunization history must be completed by a health care provider, or you may attach official documentation to the immunization history form.

What are the required immunizations to be a student at Hesston College?

Tuberculin skin test screening form
TB skin test or chest x-ray (if students answer yes on any question of the Tuberculosis screening form)
MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
TDAP (tetanus toxoid, diptheria, pertussis)
Meningococcal vaccine (required of dorm students only)
Chicken pox (varicella) recommended

Do I need a physical to attend Hesston College?

No you do not need a physical to attend Hesston College, however athletes, aviation students, and nursing students have their own requirements.

What’s the difference between a Td and a TDAP?

A Td is a tetanus toxoid/diphtheria vaccine, and the TDAP consists of the tetanus toxoid/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine which is the required Hesston College vaccine.

Where do I obtain my student’s immunization records?

Your health care provider/doctor’s office; health department; sometimes appears on the students high school transcript

Am I required to have a doctor’s signature on the health form?

Either a health care provider’s (doctor/nurse) signature is required or official documentation of immunizations must be attached to the immunization form.

What happens if I don’t get my students health form completed before arriving on-campus?

Your student must turn in the completed Health Form before moving into the residence halls and attending classes. Any exceptions must be approved by the Vice President of Student Life.

What health services are provided for students in Hesston and in the surrounding area?

NMC Health Family Medicine (620-327-2440) and Partners in Family Care, L.L.C (620-327-2314) in Hesston serve the local community. Medical office staff try to work students into the schedule. In an emergency, students should contact their resident director or resident assistant, who will call for appropriate help. Other nearby providers include:

  • Harvey County Health Department, Newton, 316-283-1637.
  • Health Ministries Clinic, Inc., Newton, 316-283-6103.
  • Hesston Dentistry LLC, 620-327-2887.
  • Legacy Eye Care, 620-327-2800 or 800-886-1007.
  • NMC Health, a full-service hospital, 316-283-2700.
  • Prairie View Mental Health Center, Newton, 316-284-6400.

Does Hesston College require students to carry health insurance?

Yes. For details visit the Student Handbook page on health insurance.

Transportation to and from campus

Does the college provide transportation services to and from campus?

During Opening Weekend, the college will provide transportation from Wichita airport and bus station and the Newton train depot free of charge. This service will be provided at regular intervals throughout the weekend.
Students may request transportation to and from the airport, train depot and bus station listed above on other occasions as well. Students pay a fee of $65 for a trip to the Wichita bus station or airport or $25 for a trip to the Newton train station when they request transportation. The Student Life office asks that all such requests be made at least a week in advance of the trip.

Am I allowed to bring a personal vehicle?

Students may bring a car, pickup or motorcycle to campus. Each vehicle must be registered with the Campus Facilities department. The owner must accept all liability for that vehicle.

Student performances and chapels

How can I watch my students’ performances?

Parents who wish to see their students participate in sports or music may watch live webcasts of most home concerts and sporting events (also recorded to view later). No “away” events are recorded/offered by Hesston College. For athletic events are streamed at hclarks.com and music department events are at hesston.edu/livestream.

How can I get access to the formation (formerly chapel and forum) schedule/presentations?

The college posts the chapel and forum schedule and video files of most formation presentations on the formation schedule page.

Campus resource list for parents

Who do I contact if I have administrative questions?

The president, vice president of Student Life, vice president of Academics are the ones to call or email for administrative issues. The business manager, director of financial aid, Student Support Services (which includes campus counselor and international student director, director of Dining Services may address more specific aspects of your student’s experience. All are listed on the college’s Contact page.

Who do I contact if I need staff on campus for support services?

The Student Life staff (resident directors, campus pastor, campus counselor, vice president of student life) are your main resources for student/campus life, spiritual life, personal development and emotional support.

Dorm life, campus lifestyle standards and campus activities

Should I insure my student’s property while he/she lives in the residence halls?

Yes. Hesston College is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal property. Check with your homeowners or renters policy provider for coverage of your student’s property.

Visit the Student Life Frequently Asked Questions for information including who lives in the dorms, how roommates are assigned, sizes of rooms and beds, what students can bring/should bring/cannot bring, what happens when students break the rules and what students can do for fun.

When do the dorms open and close?

Fall semester – move in dates vary with different days and times for fall varsity athletes, resident assistants and others, but all students should be moved in by the end of the day Friday of Opening Weekend. See the Opening Weekend pages for details. Dorms stay open with no closures through fall semester, closing at 10 a.m. on the Friday of finals week. Spring semester – dorms open at 8 a.m. Tuesday morning before classes begin on Wednesday. Dorms close for spring break at 10 a.m. Saturday morning and reopen at 6 p.m. the following Saturday. At the end of the semester, dorms close at 6 p.m. on Commencement Sunday. See the Academic Calendar for the specific dates.