Welcome to Hesston College
We hope you take the opportunity to learn to know people here, enjoy the activities and help students make this important transition.
Parents, I hope you can take advantage of the special sessions we have planned for you. We pride ourselves on our hospitality, and will be disappointed if we fail to serve you in any way.
If you have any questions, ask any staff or faculty member nearby or stop by the Admissions Office on the second floor of the Alliman Administration Center. Thank you for being here. We hope this is an enjoyable Opening Weekend for you and your family.
Dr. Howard Keim, president
Schedule see below
Do I need to go?
Events marked with these symbols are required for:
New On-Campus Student
New Off-Campus Student
Returning On-Campus Student
Returning Off-Campus Student
New Student Parents
Parents of athletes
Monday, August 12
- 8:30 a.m. – Dorms open for early arrivers
- fall sports athletes (volleyball, men’s and women’s cross country and soccer), Bel Canto Singers and aviation students
Wednesday, August 14
- 9-10 a.m. – Dorms open for JumpStart students
- by invitation only
Thursday, August 15
- 12:30-2:30 p.m. – Orientation for new off-campus students Lambright Hall, Lemons Center
- 2-4 p.m. – Check in and registration for off-campus students and resident assistants Community Center, Hesston Mennonite Church
- 6-7:30 p.m. – Dorms open for Shakers and Movers
Friday, August 16
- 8:30 a.m.-noon – Dorms open
- Start at tents outside of Erb Hall and Kauffman Court.
- 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. – Check in and registration for on-campus students Community Center, HMC
- 11 a.m. Campus tour
- Meet in Hesston Mennonite Church foyer.
- 1 to 1:45 p.m. Reception for “New to Hesston” parents Room 109, Northlawn
- Reception for parents new to the Hesston Experience. President Keim will give an introduction to Hesston College and answer your questions.
- 1 to 2 p.m. New on-campus Student Life orientation Sanctuary, Hesston Mennonite Church
- 2 to 2:45 p.m. Alumni Legacy Parent Reception Lobby, Smith Center
- Hear about alumni events for the year and meet other alumni parents.
- 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Athletic orientation for freshmen/first-year winter/spring athletes & parents Room 150, Kropf Center
- 6:30 to 7 p.m. President’s Scholars Reception (by invitation) Room 119, Smith Center
- Come and go reception for President’s Scholars and their parents or spouse. Brief presentation by President Keim at 6:45.
- 7:30 p.m. Opening Celebration Sanctuary, Hesston Mennonite Church
- This is the first campus community event for the new school year. All students and their families, faculty and staff will gather to share hopes and dreams and to ask for God’s blessing and guidance. Afterward, everyone is invited to the dining hall in Bontrager Student Center for an ice cream social.
- 9 p.m. Ice cream social Dining Hall, Bontrager Student Center
Saturday, August 17
- 7:45 to 8:15 a.m. Breakfast for all on-campus students Community Center, Hesston Mennonite Church
- 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. On-campus Academic orientation Community Center, Hesston Mennonite Church
- 8:30 to 10:15 a.m. Complimentary Parents’ Breakfast & orientation Dining Hall, Bontrager Student Center
- Meet Hesston College President Howard Keim. Student Life staff will review student schedules, policies and expectations, followed by a question-and-answer time. Attendance is strongly encouraged.
- 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. Academic life parent orientation Sanctuary, Hesston Mennonite Church
- 11 a.m. to noon Performing Arts open house Room 109, Northlawn
- A come and go event for students and parents wanting to learn what the music and theatre departments offer. Free gift for performing arts auditions sign up.
- 12:45 to 3 p.m. First-Year Seminar orientation for all new students enrolled in FYS Sanctuary, Hesston Mennonite Church
- 5 p.m. Women’s soccer scrimmage location change – Fischer Field, Athletic Park, Newton – directions
- 6 p.m. Volleyball vs. alumni scrimmage Yost Center
- 7:30 p.m. Men’s soccer intra-squad game location change – Fischer Field, Athletic Park, Newton – directions
Sunday, August 18
- 10:30 a.m. Opening worship service Sanctuary, Hesston Mennonite Church
- 1:30 p.m. Parent/student goodbyes Larks Nest Patio
- 2 to 3:30 p.m. New student games Soccer Field
- 6 to 6:45 p.m. Campus picnic for students, faculty and staff location change – Campus Activities Center
- Off-campus students, faculty, staff and their families are invited to join on-campus students for an evening of food, fellowship and fun. Reservations required by Friday, Aug. 9. Call 620-327-8178. Cost for off-campus students and their family members is $8.75 per person.
- 7 p.m. Mod Olympics location change – Yost Center