About the Department
The English Department’s mission is to teach students close reading, critical thinking, and research and writing skills that enable them to be more compassionate and responsible human beings. With careful attention to how life experience, cultural conventions, and historical contexts contribute to meaning-making, faculty and students together develop a working knowledge of textuality-the dynamic processes of producing and interpreting texts-as a cultural practice that shapes life experience and world view.
Writing and publication opportunities are available with The Hesston College Horizon, our student newspaper, and The Journal of Writing and Art (JWA), both publications housed in the Hesston College Communication Arts department.
Words Alive! Spring 2021 winners
Each semester the English department sponsors a writing contest for students and the winning works are read, usually by the writer, at one of the last Forum gatherings of the term. The spring 2021 winners were Alisha Dorsing, Star Her Many Horses, Kaytlen Keough and Hevi Mamo.
- Engl009 TOEFL iBT Test Preparation 1 hour
- Engl100 Basic Writing 3 hours
- Engl103 ESL: Grammar 3 hours
- Engl104 ESL: Integrated Language Arts 3 hours
- Engl105 ESL: Advanced Listening/Speaking 3 hours
- Engl112 Studies in Literature 3 hours
- Engl120 Aviation English for Communicative Purposes 2 hours
- Engl125 College Writing I 3 hours
- Engl126 College Writing Lab 1 hour
- Engl135 College Writing II 3 hours
- Engl204 Introduction to Children’s Literature 3 hours
- Engl212 World Literature 3 hours
- Engl215 Introduction to Film 3 hours
- Engl217 Literature of Race, Ethnicity and Gender 3 hours
- Engl220 Creative Writing 3 hours
- Engl225 Advanced Critical Research and Argument 3 hours