About the Department
The English Department’s mission is to teach students close reading, critical thinking, and research and writing skills that enable them to be more compassionate and responsible human beings. With careful attention to how life experience, cultural conventions, and historical contexts contribute to meaning-making, faculty and students together develop a working knowledge of textuality-the dynamic processes of producing and interpreting texts-as a cultural practice that shapes life experience and world view.
Writing and publication opportunities are available with The Hesston College Horizon, our student newspaper, and The Journal of Writing and Art (JWA), both publications housed in the Hesston College Communication Arts department.
- Engl100 Basic Writing 3 hours
- Engl103 ESL: Intermediate Grammar 3 hours
- Engl104 ESL: Integrated Language Arts 3 hours
- Engl105 ESL: Advanced Listening/Speaking 3 hours
- Engl112 Studies in Literature 3 hours
- Engl125 College Writing I 3 hours
- Engl135 College Writing II 3 hours
- Engl212 World Literature 3 hours
- Engl217 Introduction to Film 3 hours
- Engl217 Literature of Race, Ethnicity and Gender 3 hours
- Engl220 Creative Writing 3 hours
- Engl225 Advanced College Writing 3 hours
Villa Writers Project
The Villa Writers Project, a collaborative effort between Hesston College and Schowalter Villa, a local retirement community, also offers students opportunities to share their writing with the larger campus community.