also Special Education
Fulfill your dream of becoming an educator or develop your passion for working with young people by exploring the education department at Hesston College. Your Hesston education will provide you with the strong foundation that you will need for upper-level studies in Early Childhood, Elementary and Special Education.
Why begin my teacher education journey at Hesston College?
- Hesston College instructors focus their efforts on the development of first and second year education students.
- Through engaging class sessions, you will gain a thorough understanding of the current world of education as you, for the first time, view school through a teacher’s eyes.
- The Hesston community warmly welcomes education students to participate in classroom observation, reading tutoring and after school programs.
- Surrounding school districts of Newton and Wichita provide more diverse settings for observation and field trips.
“I loved the way that Hesston's early childhood education program allowed me to be in the classroom setting from the start. I was able to combine what I was learning in my ECE classes with my role as an assistant teacher in the Hesston College Preschool. I gained a well-rounded perspective on child development and early education. Studying ECE at Hesston provided a solid foundation and opened the doors for me to continue growing and using my degree in a variety of ways.”
-Deb Coblentz, Class of 2011
How will a two-year school provide the basis for a bachelor’s degree in teaching?
- Your Hesston academic advisor will guide you into the specific liberal arts courses that you will need for licensure at your chosen transfer institution.
- Prepare for your upper level teacher education program by taking the first education courses at Hesston – Introduction to Education, Education Field Experience and Exceptional Students.
- Take the opportunity to establish a well-rounded foundation by exploring related interests such as early childhood education (with the on-campus Hesston College Preschool), Spanish, art, music...and other interests.