The Mariann Martin Award
The Mariann Martin Award is given every year as a tribute to her dedication and love of theatre at Hesston College. Martin taught at Hesston from 1987 to 1991 and from 1994 to 2002. This award is given to a graduating student who shows commitment to the program, dedication to its preservation and an overall love of the theatre arts. In addition, it is specifically reserved for the special student whose presence is felt within the department and across the Hesston College campus. Selection criteria include: plans to pursue a continuous study of theatre arts; actively involved in all shows and theatre curriculum; positively promotes the theatre program across campus and in community; maintains a high level of professionalism in both theatre and the classroom; creates a level of inclusion for those new to our stage.
The Standing O Award
Initiated in 2016, the Standing O Award honors a graduating student who has been instrumental to the success of the theatre program as both a technician and an actor, creating a most well-rounded artist. Selection criteria include a minimum GPA of 3.0, significant backstage theatre contributions, onstage experience, positive attitude and professionalism in theatre and campus-wide culture.
- Tommy Brown – Standing O Award
- Leah Huyard – Mariann Martin Award
- Colton Adams – Standing O Award
- Mariah Trible – Mariann Martin Award
- Caitlin Waits – Standing O Award
- Morgan Leavy – Mariann Martin Award
- Leavy has performed in every mainstage show in her two years. She has performed every role, no matter the size, with depth and professionalism and has earned strong marks in her theatre coursework. Morgan is a strong example to incoming students of excellence in performance. Campus Activities Board and leading worship have allowed her to use her gifts throughout campus. She will continue her studies at the University of the Arts for Acting in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Emily Griffioen – Standing O Award
- Griffioen served as multi-media designer for These Shining Lives, stage manager for Working and Fools, played in the orchestra for A Year With Frog and Toad, played the role of “Martha” in 7 Million Club for the 2017 Pen to Paper to Performance Play Festival and painted scenes on multiple productions
- Emma Roth – Mariann Martin Award
- RaeLee Hightower – Standing O Award
- Taylor Zehr – Mariann Martin Award
- Taylor played Jo March in the musical production of Little Women, Elmire in Tartuffe, Juror 8 in 12 Angry Jurors and was part of the company in Amahl and the Night Visitors.
- Deni Brummer – Mariann Martin Award
- Deni played Sheila in The Boys Next Door, played a shopper as well as took on the role of Props Design in She Loves Me, played in the company of Green Card, stage managed A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and directed the one act, What I Meant Was…
- Alanah Rempel – Mariann Martin Award
- Alanah played Sr. Helen Prejean in Dead Man Walking, Clara in The Boys Next Door, Hermia in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, performed in the student directed one act, He’s Having a Baby, and was stage manager for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
- Curtis Denlinger – Mariann Martin Award
- Curtis was light board operator for Quilters and Forever Plaid, stage manager for All in the Timing, sound board operator for Dead Man Walking and played Vice Principal Douglas Panch in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
- Matt Lehman – Mariann Martin Award
- Matt played Philip Glass in Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread and Don in Universal Language, both part of All in the Timing; Buddy Layman in The Diviners; was part of the ensemble in Godspell; and served as stage manager for Quilters.
- Carson Stutzman and Mitch Stutzman – Mariann Martin Award
- Mitch played Jesus and Carson played John the Baptist and Judas in Godspell. Carson played Basil Bennett and Mitch played C.C. Showers in The Diviners. Mitch played Bubba in the dinner theatre production An Evening of Culture: Faith County II and was a member of the traveling drama troupe during the 2007-08 year.
- Caleb Miller – Mariann Martin Award
- Caleb played Michael Wells in Two Rooms, a villager in Hesston and Bethel colleges’ production of Brigadoon, and was a member of the traveling drama troupe that performed at churches and schools during the 2007-08 year. He also directed Sorry, Wrong Number, a one-act play.
- Amanda Diaz – Mariann Martin Award
- Amanda served as stage manager for all productions during her year and a half on campus, including Moon Over Buffalo, Two Rooms, and Brigadoon.
- Tara Hershberger – Mariann Martin Award
- Tara’s roles include Chick Boyle in Crimes of the Heart, Mama Noah in Children of Eden, Hannah Bauman in Quiet in the Land, and Charlotte Hay in Moon Over Buffalo.