How do I apply for financial aid?

As soon as you and your parents complete your U.S. tax return, you should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is your application for all federal and state and some institutional financial aid. If you do not plan to apply for federal or state financial aid, you need not complete any forms. Just let the financial aid office know. We will send your financial aid award to you immediately. We begin awarding financial aid in early February.

My parents aren’t helping me with college. Do I have to report their income and assets on the FAFSA?

More than likely your parents will need to include their financial information on the FAFSA unless you are married or will turn 24 by the end of the fall term. The FAFSA includes specific instructions. Your parents may decide they won’t or can’t help you financially. However, the federal government assumes that you and your parents are primarily responsible for paying for your college education and, therefore, requires that you include your parents’ information on the application.

Will I qualify for a Pell Grant?

The federal Pell Grant is the most difficult type of financial aid for which to qualify. Annual income levels for a family of four need to be around $40,000 or less. Keep in mind that if you don’t qualify for the Pell Grant, you still may be eligible for other grants and loans.

What is the maximum amount Hesston College will offer in institutional aid?

The total amount of institutional scholarships and grants is capped at 80% of tuition. Exceeding this cap requires joint approval by the director of financial aid and vice president of admissions.

Do I have to pay the total due all at once?

Hesston College offers a variety of payment plans. You can choose a regular or monthly installment payment plan. If you choose the regular plan, you will pay for each semester at the beginning of that semester. The monthly plan divides the total due into equal monthly payments with the first due in early July and the last due by the first of April of each year you attend. You can receive a discount if you prepay your amount due in July. We will mail specific details to you after you receive your financial aid award.

How do I get a campus job?

The first step is to complete the campus employment application. We mail campus employment applications and information about completing the FAFSA to all of our applicants in mid September. Applying for campus employment does not guarantee you a campus job. Hesston’s campus work study coordinator categorizes the applications by job interests and distributes them to various employers on campus. The employers review the applications and hire workers. Employers base their decisions on the information you provide on the application. You should include previous work experience and specific skills. Priority for campus employment is given to students who qualify for the Federal Work Study funds (determined by completing the FAFSA), who apply in a timely manner, and who qualify for the positions we offer.

Contact the Financial Aid Office by email at marciam@hesston.edu or call 800-99-LARKS (800-995-2757).

You can also find an excellent source of financial aid information at Finaid.org .