Student Complaint Policy

Students are encouraged to use the following avenues to resolve conflict.

  1. Students are encouraged to resolve the problem directly or with help from the RA if possible.
  2. If the problem is not resolved, the student should contact his or her resident director, the vice president of Student Development, or the vice president of Academics.
  3. If the problem remains unresolved, the student should file a written complaint with the president of Hesston College.

Handbook 2015-16