Campus Community Programs
Activities provide a change of pace from the daily routine of academic work, broaden students’ interests and promote creativity and growth.
Campus activities are planned, coordinated and carried out by the student activities coordinators with the assistance of the Campus Activities Board (CAB), which consists of selected students. The goal is to offer activities that provide opportunities for fellowship and recreation to all members of the campus community.
A wide variety of events are available throughout the year including movie nights, s’mores roasts, coffeehouses, bowling nights, ice skating, lip sync battles and game nights. In addition, CAB plans many non-traditional events with input from the larger student population and academic departments.
The college views these activities as an integral part of each student’s mental, social and physical development.
Other Campus Activities
- Music – A wide variety of musical opportunities are available to students through Bel Canto Singers, Men’s Chorus, Women’s Chorus and student-organized singing groups.
- Intercollegiate sports – A member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and the Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference, Hesston College competes with a variety of college and university programs, but mainly other junior colleges in Kansas and surrounding states. Hesston offers the following sports: women’s soccer, volleyball, basketball, cross country, track and softball; men’s soccer, basketball, baseball, cross country, track and golf.
- Drama – The theatre program stages four mainstage productions each year including a fall production, a collaborative performance with the music program in the winter, a musical in early spring and a theatre for young audiences show in late spring. Participation is open to all students.
- Intramural athletic events – Everyone can get involved in intramural volleyball, basketball, indoor soccer, floor hockey, softball and tennis.
- Clubs – Any student group with a faculty or staff sponsor may appeal to Campus Activities Board for status and support as a campus club. Past clubs have encouraged fellowship around topics such as baking, Ultimate Frisbee, grill club and Travel Kansas.
Other Campus Events and Resources
- Sunflower Performing Arts – The Sunflower Performing Arts series is sponsored by Hesston College. Five events during the year present world-renowned performers. All full-time students are given a free season pass to SPA events.
- Art – The Regier Friesen Gallery in Friesen Center exhibits a rich variety of art in displays that change regularly. Exhibits often deal with social and religious issues. The annual student art exhibit is held at the end of the spring term. The gallery is located in Friesen Center and is meant for the enrichment and enjoyment of everyone. The Hesston College Art Collection, including the Paul A. Friesen Collection, provides a rich visual resource for the campus.