Campus Community Programs
Activities provide a change of pace from the daily routine of academic work, broaden students’ interests and promote creativity and growth.
Campus activities are planned, coordinated and carried out by the student activities coordinators with the assistance of the Campus Activities Board (CAB), which consists of selected students. The goal is to offer activities that provide opportunities for fellowship and recreation to all members of the campus community.
A wide variety of events are available throughout the year including movie nights, s’mores roasts, coffeehouses, bowling nights, ice skating, lip sync battles and game nights. In addition, CAB plans many non-traditional events with input from the larger student population and academic departments.
The college views these activities as an integral part of each student’s mental, social and physical development.
Other Campus Activities
- Music – A wide variety of musical opportunities are available to students through Bel Canto Singers, Global Voices and student-organized singing groups.
- Intercollegiate sports – A member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and the Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference, Hesston College competes with a variety of college and university programs, but mainly other junior colleges in Kansas and surrounding states. Hesston offers the following sports: women’s soccer, volleyball, basketball, cross country, track and softball; men’s soccer, basketball, baseball, cross country, track and golf.
- Drama – The theatre program stages four mainstage productions each year including a fall production, a collaborative performance with the music program in the winter, a musical in early spring and a theatre for young audiences show in late spring. Participation is open to all students.
- Intramural athletic events – Everyone can get involved in intramural volleyball, basketball, indoor soccer, floor hockey, softball and tennis.
- Clubs – Any student group with a faculty or staff sponsor may appeal to Campus Activities Board for status and support as a campus club. Past clubs have encouraged fellowship around topics such as baking, Ultimate Frisbee, disc golf, grill club and Travel Kansas.
Other Campus Events and Resources
- Community Connector – The Junior-Senior Community Connector is focused on building relationships among other upper level students while also making intentional connections with the broader campus. The Connector will plan 1-2 events per month and coordinate such things as Jr/Sr Intramural Teams and Bible studies.
- Sunflower Performing Arts – The Sunflower Performing Arts series is sponsored by Hesston College. Five events during the year present world-renowned and regional performers. All full-time students are given a free season pass to SPA events.