About Hesston College
Hesston College, founded in 1909, is located in Hesston, Kansas, 30 miles north of Wichita. The college has an enrollment of approximately 400 students who come from about 30 states and 20 countries. It has a faculty-student ratio of 1:9. Affiliated with Mennonite Church USA, Hesston College is governed by the Hesston College Board of Directors. Board members are appointed by Mennonite Education Agency and the board of directors.
Hesston College, a college of Mennonite Church USA, educates and nurtures each student within Christ-centered community, integrating thought, life and faith for service to others in the church and the world.
Hesston College graduates change the world as they serve through their vocations, churches, families and individual commitments to follow Christ.
Hesston College is a transforming community where students, faculty and staff dedicate their intellect, passion and skill to a future where hope replaces despair, the poor are clothed and fed, the sick are made whole, peace replaces war and conflict, justice replaces oppression, creation is renewed and the gospel is proclaimed.
- Aspire to high performance in all courses, programs and activities, measuring our results with accepted standards of achievement.
Give and expect each other’s best efforts in teaching and learning. Encourage creativity, curiosity and critical thinking.
- Christian Community
- Invite students to follow Christ and to create Christ-centered community on campus.
- Celebrate differences in backgrounds and cultures and make every effort to learn from each other.
- Create space and time to develop relationships so that students, faculty and staff learn together.
- Strive to break through to new ways of learning and service.
- Care for the financial, physical, spiritual and emotional resources entrusted to us. Serve as stewards of the environment and work to develop sustainable facilities and practices.
- Model lives of joy, eagerly working hard to achieve, and welcoming humor and fun along the way.
- Share information regarding our performance, finances and future plans within the organization, with our supporters and with those we serve.
- Act with compassion and honesty, extending dignity and respect to all.
Statement of Purposes
The purposes of Hesston College are to:
Promote student learning and development through
- A general education core and other courses that culminate in the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or Associate of General Studies degree and that satisfy lower division requirements for transfer to selected baccalaureate programs.
- Academic courses and enrichment programs that emphasize the scholarship of integration and student learning in the areas of biblical understanding, global perspective, critical thinking, self-awareness, communication and social responsibility.
- Student development programs, academic services and enrichment activities that promote development of the whole student (academic, personal, physical, social and spiritual).
Facilitate professional and career development through
- A general education core and other courses that culminate in the Associate of Applied Arts and Sciences degree, Bachelor of Arts – Business Management, Bachelor of Science – Aviation-Professional Pilot, Bachelor of Science – Engineering-Mechatronics Track or the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree and prepare students with knowledge and performance competencies required for immediate employment in selected careers.
- Academic advising and career services that assist students to adequately plan and prepare for their selected careers and guide those who are uncertain about future career choices.
Prepare future leaders who actively participate in the life and work of the church and display a commitment of service to others through
- A Christ-centered community where students are guided toward the model of Jesus Christ, encouraged to grow in their faith and empowered to view themselves as agents of change.
- Student leadership opportunities throughout the first two years of the college experience in academics, athletic activities, dramatic productions, worship planning, student recruitment, residential life, etc., and professional experience and leadership opportunities through internships and mentorship for juniors and seniors.
- Service-learning and community opportunities in a variety of curricular and extracurricular activities.
- Experiences that expand students’ vision of the Mennonite church, its values and tenets, its people and programs while welcoming all and sharing a journey shaped by each other’s diverse perspectives