Hesston College Bel Canto Singers will travel east for a spring break tour March 13 to 22 with performances in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio.
The 18-voice mixed chamber choir, under the direction of Dr. Russell Adrian, will present a program entitled “Deep Peace.” The program is inspired by this year’s theme verse at Hesston College, Ephesians 4:2-3, in which Paul calls Christians to lift each other up in community: “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” The concert features a cappella and accompanied works with special music by soloists and small ensembles.
In some locations, the Bel Canto concert will be a collaboration with choirs from local Mennonite high schools. A livestream link for the home concert in Hesston and full tour program are available at www.hesston.edu/music.
The tour itinerary includes:
- Sunday, March 13, 10:30 a.m., Lindale Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Va.
- Sunday, March 13, 4 p.m., Park View Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Va.
- Monday, March 14, Shalom Christian Academy, Chambersburg, Pa.
- Monday, March 14, 7 p.m. Landisville Mennonite Church, Landisville, Pa.
- Tuesday, March 15, Lancaster Mennonite School, Lancaster, Pa.
- Tuesday, March 15, 7 p.m Ridgeview Mennonite Church, Lancaster, Pa., with Lancaster Mennonite School Chorale
- Wednesday, March 16, Dock Mennonite Academy, Lansdale, Pa.
- Wednesday, March 16, 7 p.m. Franconia Mennonite Church, Telford, Pa.
- Thursday, March 17, 7 p.m., Sonnenberg Mennonite Church, Kidron, Ohio, with Central Christian Varsity Singers
- Friday, March 18, Central Christian High School, Kidron, Ohio
- Friday, March 18, 7 p.m., Zion Mennonite Church, Archbold, Ohio
- Tuesday, March 22, 7 p.m., Hesston Mennonite Church, Hesston, Kan. Audience members may also join via livestream
The 2021-22 academic year marks the 38th season for the Bel Canto Singers, Hesston College’s premiere choral ensemble. Bel Canto Singers allows students from a broad spectrum of majors to make music an important part of their college experience. The group carries out ambitious concert and touring schedules annually. These performance opportunities cultivate leadership skills that serve students well in their next steps of life. Recent juried appearances have included performances for VOCES8, Chanticleer, the King’s Singers, Charles Bruffy and the Rose Ensemble.
Bel Canto members include Anna Banman of Lenexa, Kan.; Bethany Masters of Mount Eaton, Ohio; Kelly Miller of Archbold, Ohio; Isaac Tice of Buhler, Kan.; Rachel Teeter of Hesston, Kan.; Alyssa Burkholder of Goessel, Kan.; Meg Beyer, Kara Longenecker, Ginny Miller, Luke Huyard and Sam Groff of Harrisonburg, Va.; Alyssa Nolt of Dalton, Ohio; Sadie Oesch of Caldwell, Idaho; Luke Allison of Freeman, S.D.; Jack Shingler of Kidron, Ohio; Abraham Cadillo Quispe of Yokohama, Japan; Jesse Kanagy of Lancaster, Pa.; and Aidan Swartzendruber of Henderson, Neb.