Are you interested in studying the Bible? Are you exploring the possibility of a career in some type of ministry? Do you feel a call to be a pastor or work in a ministry setting? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are eligible to apply for a Hesston College Bible or Youth Ministry Scholarship. A successful application will demonstrate your strong background, commitment to ongoing academic development in biblical and ministry fields and desire to be a leader.
The application process
- Complete and submit the scholarship inquiry/application.
- Write and submit an essay (see details below).
- Schedule a visit to campus with your admissions counselor. This visit will include an interview with a Bible and Ministry faculty member.
- Recipients are selected based on a variety of factors, including financial need.
Write a 2 to 4 page essay where you describe
- your faith journey
- your sense of calling from God concerning further biblical study and/or ministry
- the strengths and gifts you would bring to the church through further biblical study and/or ministry
- how your gifts for ministry have been affirmed by others
- the strengths and gifts you would bring as a spiritual leader at Hesston College
Mail your essay to Hesston College Bible and Ministry Scholarship, Box 3000, Hesston, KS 67062 or email it as an attachment to email@example.com.
A visit to the Hesston College campus will give you an opportunity to interact with Bible and Ministry faculty and students, attend classes and ministry events such as campus worship, Bible studies and chapel, and have an interview with a Bible and Ministry department faculty. You’ll learn about the special opportunities afforded to recipients of the Bible and Youth Ministry Scholarships.
Service and ministry possibilities on and off campus include:
- Help lead the junior-high event, Know Jesus
- Serve as a ministry sssistant, working for Student Life
- Join a team of students giving leadership for Hesston College at the biennial Mennonite youth convention
- Provide administrative assistance in the Bible and Ministry department
- Provide administrative assistance to the annual Anabaptist Vision and Discipleship Series
Ask a teacher or mentor to complete and return this recommendation form within two weeks of your visit.
Recipients of Bible/Youth Ministry scholarships agree to actively participate in the Hesston College Bible and Youth Ministry program. Requirements include:
- Interview with Student Life personnel for a possible role as a spiritual leader on campus, either as a ministry assistant or in another capacity (see opportunities for service and leadership above).
- Enroll in at least one Bible or ministry class each semester.
- Demonstrate leadership among peers within the Bible and Ministry program
Students who maintain at least a 3.00 grade point average and remain in good standing in the Bible or Youth Ministry program may renew their scholarships as sophomores.
- Approach the faculty interview like a job interview. Put your best self forward.
- Over prepare. You will never look back and wish you had spent less effort preparing.
- Dress for success. Present yourself like you would in a formal job interview.
- Be ready to talk about your goals. How can Hesston College help you attain these goals? We want to get to know you and know how to best serve you.
- Ask several persons to read your essay before you submit it. Does it communicate your passion and truly describe your spiritual journey? Is it well-written and easy to read?
Why should you come to Hesston College?
- Great opportunities for service and ministry leadership
- Experienced, professional faculty who address the needs and interests of each individual student
- Quality instruction in Bible genre courses and practical theology
- A spiritual formation class designed to help students process their calling from God concerning ministry
- Field trips and social events
- An emphasis on self-discovery. We minister out of who we are.