Observing an annual homecoming event has become a big celebration in Hesston. For the third straight year, different institutions and players in the community are teaming up to offer Home Sweet Hesston Sept. 26-30 – several days of events for the whole family at locations that showcase the many amenities offered in town and build community camaraderie.
For Hesston High School and Hesston College, Home Sweet Hesston is part of homecoming events for the respective schools. Schowalter Villa is also holding its annual Villa Days as part of the community-wide celebration with events on its campus that benefit the Good Samaritan Caring Fund and other resident-centered projects.
“Home Sweet Hesston is a great way to show to the whole community all of the wonderful things Hesston has to offer,” said Dallas Stutzman, director of Alumni and Church Relations at Hesston College and Home Sweet Hesston committee member. “Many of the events are low cost or free, so we hope many will come out and experience the community.”
Home Sweet Hesston event schedule
Wednesday, Sept. 26
- 5 to 6 p.m., Community meal – $6, Hesston Mennonite Church
- Sponsored by the Hesston Community Foundation and served by Cititzen’s State Bank.
- 6:30 p.m., Parade, Route begins at Hickory and proceeds north down Main Street
- Sponsored by the Hesston Chamber of Commerce.
- 7:30 p.m. (time is approximate), Community bonfire, King Park
Friday, Sept. 28
- 9 a.m., Morning with the Swathers for USD 460, Hesston High School
- 4:30 to 6 p.m., Hesston College/Community Art Show and Reception, Hesston College Keim Center
- Featuring Hesston College alumni, USD 460 and area artists. Schowcase can be viewed through Sunday.
- 5 to 6:30 p.m., Community meal – by donation, Hesston High School Commons
- Sponsored by Bluestem Communities and served by Villa Partners. Silent auction baskets also available for bids.
- 7 p.m. Hesston Swathers football game and Homecoming royalty coronation, Hobbs Stadium
- A fireworks show will follow the football game.
- Open late until 11 p.m., The Lincoln Perk
Saturday, Sept. 29
- 7:30 to 11 a.m., Villa Partners Bake Sale, Water’s Edge
- 8 to 10 a.m., Community breakfast – by donation, Water’s Edge
- Served by Villa Partners and Hesston Area Seniors.
- 9 a.m., Villa Partners Mini Auction, Water’s Edge.
- 10:30 a.m., Hesston College The Manickam Mosey: Two-mile run/walk, starts in front of Bontrager Student Center on the Hesston College campus
- Enjoy a morning run or walk through the picturesque Hesston College campus and neighboring Dyck Arboretum. Community/Alumni vs. Students Challenge: The group with the largest number of race participants will win the Challenge Trophy Cup for the year. Register online.
- 5 to 7 p.m., Kids’ Festival – free, Hesston College south of the tennis courts
- Games, bouncy houses and face painting.
- 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Community picnic meal – free, Hesston College Campus Activities Center
- A hot dog meal with all of the trimmings by Knackie’s Catering with Water’s Edge homemade ice cream for dessert.
- 8 p.m., Steel Wheels concert, Hesston Mennonite Church on the Hesston College campus
- One of the leading bluegrass groups in the country performs live at Hesston College. Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for students ages 5 through high school. Purchase tickets in advance at hesston.edu/bookstore or at the door as available. Doors open at 7 p.m. General admissions seating.