Nachtigall to serve as athletic director

Hesston College Athletic Director Chris Nachtigall

Hesston College announces the hiring of Chris Nachtigall as the Larks’ new athletic director. A 2001 graduate of Hesston College, Nachtigall holds a bachelor’s degree in sports management from Iowa Wesleyan College (Mount Pleasant, Iowa) and a master’s in coaching and athletic administration from Concordia University (Irvine, Calif.).

While at Hesston, Nachtigall played baseball and soccer. “One thing I loved about my experience as an athlete at Hesston was that I could also be involved in many other things,” said Nachtigall. “I got to lead as a resident assistant and be involved in campus worship and intramurals. The experience helped shape me into a well-rounded leader on and off the field. It is what excites me about being back at Hesston – giving unique opportunities to develop young people into leaders.”

Nachtigall’s professional journey includes work as a program director, physical education teacher and high school basketball and softball coach. In 2007, he became the athletic director at Iowa Mennonite School (Kalona), overseeing the school’s 12 varsity sports while also coaching. In 2011 he moved to Northwestern College (Orange City, Iowa) to become the head softball coach. During his tenure, the Red Raiders won three conference championships and Nachtigall earned a Great Plains Athletic Conference Coach of the Year award.

Nachtigall brings a family with him to Hesston – wife Marena, also a 2001 Hesston College graduate, and their three kids – son Cohen (9), and daughters Eden (6) and Ayla (3).

“Hesston College holds a special place in our families’ hearts,” said Nachtigall. “Hesston helped to mold and shape both Marena and me. We are thrilled to be moving back to a place we hold dearly.

“I am humbled for the opportunity to be the next Hesston College athletic director,” Nachtigall said. “We want to continue what has been started by building a culture of excellence that encompasses all of Hesston College Athletics. I am looking forward to stepping into those shoes.”

Hesston College is a college of the Mennonite Church USA. The Larks compete in 14 intercollegiate sports as part of the Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference and the National Junior College Athletic Association.