Telling the Hesston College Story
Hesston College’s centennial celebration, “Living the Vision” was held September 25-27, 2009. A centennial planning committee planned a host of events and activities.
Now completed is a 100-year history, A School on the Prairie: A Centennial History of Hesston College, 1909-2009 by John E. Sharp, published by Cascadia Publishing House LLC.
The book and an accompanying DVD can be ordered from the Hesston College Bookstore online, or purchased on campus.
A School on the Prairie chapter titles
- Stakes on the Prairie
- Pennsylvania Prologue
- Vision for a School in the West (1903-1908)
- Founding: “Every Beginning is Difficult” (1909)
- Maintaining a School “in the Order of the Church” (1909-1914)
- Patriotism Without National Boundaries (1914-1919)
- “The Truth Shall Make you Free” (1919-1929)
- Dust, Depression and Determination (1929-1939)
- War, Serviced and Expansion (1939-1949)
- Negotiating Cultural Transitions (1949-1959)
- A Safely Progressive College (1959-1969)
- Reinventing Education (1969-1979)
- Educating More-With-Less (1979-1989)
- Enhancing Excellence (1989-1999)
- Start Here, Go Everywhere (1999-2009)