Brown to perform “I Go On Singing” in Harrisonburg, Va.

Tony Brown performs in “I Go On Singing,” his tribute to Paul Robeson

Tony Brown will perform the original musical autobiography “I Go On Singing” at 7 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 9 at Lehman Auditorium on the Eastern Mennonite University campus, Harrisonburg, Va..

“I Go On Singing” is Brown’s original tribute to Paul Robeson, all-American athlete, scholar, champion orator, international recording artist and star of the stage and screen during the 1930s and 40s, written for Brown by playwright Andrew Flack. Brown’s telling of Robeson’s story is a 75-minute song-filled, multi-media presentation that reveals him as a towering figure in 20th century American history.

Accompanied by collaborative pianist and Hesston College music faculty member Ken Rodgers, photo projection and a narrator, “I Go On Singing” is equal parts historical documentary and live concert experience. Using Robeson’s own words from his autobiography “Here I Stand” and comments from legendary peace activist and artist Pete Seeger, the show traces Robeson’s humble beginnings as a preacher’s son in Princeton, N.J., to his international celebrity and pioneering activism on the world stage.

Brown is an international promoter of peace, Hesston College sociology faculty member and artist in residence and founder of Peacing It Together Foundation, an organization that serves the global community as a resource for peace and social justice. He uses music and the spoken word to bring people together across the divides of race, culture and religion. His travels have taken him to countries such as Bosnia, Moldova, Northern Ireland, Uganda, Ethiopia, the Philippines, China, Japan, South Korea and Colombia, where he has seen music transform and heal.

“I Go On Singing” premiered to inspiring reviews in Princeton, N.J., in 2011 and Wichita, Kan., in 2012. Brown also performed it at A Hesston College Homecoming in September 2012.