Hesston College expects all students to be covered by a personal or family health insurance plan. Students must complete a confidential health form which includes their health insurance information on my.Hesston under the Student Development tab prior to the start of classes.
Students are encouraged to carry a copy of their current health, dental and prescription insurance cards. Students are responsible for their own health insurance plan and their own medical expenses. Students who do not have a health insurance plan through their family can explore plans available through their local insurance broker, the national health insurance exchanges or through other vendors. Students may also select a student health plan offered through the college. For more information on the Hesston College Student Health Insurance Plan, see the plan description available at (hesston.edu/ship-desc) and find the enrollment form at (hesston.edu/ship-enroll).
Student athletes are required to have a health insurance plan. Coverage information should be included in the confidential health form. If not completed prior to or during registration, student athletes must provide proof of insurance to the athletic office prior to participation. All athletes must also submit a Hesston College pre-participation physical exam form to the athletic office prior to participating in athletics each year. This form must be signed by a licensed medical physician (not a chiropractor, nurse practitioner or physician assistant).
All student athletes are required to pay a $200 fee (per year) to help cover the cost of providing secondary insurance coverage for all student athletes. Secondary coverage helps offset out-of-pocket expenses for athletic injuries not covered by a student’s primary health insurance plan.
Nursing students participating in clinicals are required to have a health insurance plan. Coverage information should be included in the confidential health form. If not completed prior to or during registration, nursing students must provide proof of the insurance to the nursing office prior to the start of classes.
International students are required to have a health insurance plan. Any international student who does not have a valid international, parent or employer health insurance plan will need to purchase insurance. Some options are available at (hesston.edu/ship-options). Coverage information should be included in the confidential health form. If not completed prior to or during registration, international students must provide proof of insurance to Mari Sailors, associate director of International Admissions, prior to the start of classes.
Student health insurance is not mandatory if you are not in any of the above required categories, however it is strongly encouraged for each student to be covered by a health insurance policy. Hesston College will not be held responsible for student health expenses.
The following items must be completed by the student in order to be allowed to attend classes:
- Proof of health insurance coverage (for required student populations). While health insurance for certain students is not mandatory, we strongly encourage all students to provide their health insurance coverage information on the confidential health form. Coverage includes enrollment in or access to a parent health/hospitalization plan, employer plan, exchange provided plan, or student may enroll in a student health plan offered through the college.
- Proof of immunization. Hesston College requires that all students must provide proof of the following immunizations by the time that they are placed in the dorms and begin classes:
- an updated tetanus/diptheria/pertussis (TDAP) within the past ten years
- two doses of measles/mumps/rubella (or MMR) vaccine after first birthday
- Meningococcal vaccine required for on-campus students only
- a negative TB skin test screening form
- history of chicken pox (varicella) is recommended.
These immunizations are sanctioned by the Kansas State Health Department and are required by Hesston College. There are additional requirements for nursing and aviation students.