The Hesston College School of Aviation seeks a qualified, full-time Director of Aviation to provide visionary leadership and decision-making for the continued academic growth and development of its collegiate aviation programs. The Director of Aviation is foundational in effectively communicating and strategically aligning its aviation programs in accordance with the institution’s vision and mission statements. The successful candidate for the Director of Aviation should expect to be fully engaged with the prospective student recruitment process, actively pursue the establishment of industry partnerships, foster alumni relationships and provide leadership for all students, interns, faculty and staff. The successful candidate must possess competencies with developing and managing a financial budget and have an in-depth knowledge of aircraft operational and maintenance protocols. The candidate must embrace the foundational tenets of the School of Aviation’s mission statement: Excellence, Integrity and Service. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Director of Aviation will report directly to the Vice President of Academics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regularly evaluate and recommend changes to all academic curricula applicable to the three (3) accredited, aviation-centric degree programs in conjunction with the Office of Academics, and the School of Aviation’s Comprehensive Assessment Plan (CAP),
- Remain apprised of all regulatory and industry-based aviation standards and initiatives, and develop and implement necessary academic course changes throughout all programs.
- Fulfill the role of the Aviation Department Chair, and participate in additional faculty committees, as assigned.
- Coordinate with relevant offices to facilitate matters of recruitment, alumni relations and fundraising, and budget.
- Regularly evaluate student enrollment, retention and persistence, and collectively recommend appropriate changes to ensure program longevity in conjunction with the Offices of Academics and Enrollment Management
- Participate in all School of Aviation recruitment events
- Evaluate aviation student enrollment numbers and staff the school with an appropriate number of qualified Certified Flight Instructors
- Oversee the flight operations component of the aviation programs and propose essential changes to ensure regulatory compliance while maximizing asset utilization – to include student/instructor scheduling, scheduled/unscheduled maintenance, recruitment event scheduling
- Provide substantive coaching and mentoring for all flight instructors, staff, faculty and adjunct faculty
- Conduct timely employee evaluations and recommend appropriate development plans, as required.
- Foster an excellent working relationship with the FAA
- Fulfill the Chief Instructor role, as defined in Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 141.35
- Further the School of Aviation’s Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) initiative
- Coach members of the Hesston College Flight Team as they prepare for, and participate in, the National Intercollegiate Flying Association (NIFA)
- Facilitate regular meetings with the Aviation Advisory Council.
- Master’s degree in aviation or a related field, with relevant work experience in the aviation industry.
- Commercial Pilot Certificate with Airplane Single Engine and Multiengine Land class ratings, and an Instrument-Airplane rating.
- Certified Flight Instructor Certificate with Airplane Single Engine, Instrument Airplane and Multiengine ratings
- Substantive operational management experience with training aircraft
- Possess significant training experience within a 14 CFR Part 141 Pilot School
- Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate
- Prior 14 CFR Part 91, 91 Subpart K, 135 and/or 121 line experience
- Industry experience as either a Pilot Examiner or Check Pilot
If you share our values and our enthusiasm to educate and nurture each student within a Christ-centered community, integrating thought, life and faith for service to others in the church and the world, you will find a home at Hesston College.
To apply, send letter of interest, application, curriculum vitae and copies of transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. This full-time, 12-month position begins August 2022. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until filled. EOE