Hesston College is seeking a 9-month full-time Campus Counselor. The campus counselor’s primary role is to coordinate a menu of services to offer residential and commuting students to promote mental health wellness to the campus community by creating educational materials and gathering resources in collaboration with community and higher education partners. This includes:
- Serving as a campus mental health advocate and resource
- Conducting assessments when appropriate to foster student understanding and decision making
- Providing individual counseling sessions using a variety of therapeutic treatment modalities to meet student's needs including individual work on such things as goal setting, the change process, etc.
- Maintaining an atmosphere of open communication, mutual trust, respect and support
- Engaging in efforts to address developmental concerns and assist in achieving more effective personal and social development and adjustment
- Providing crisis intervention and emergency coverage as appropriate (typically 1-2 times per year)
- Assisting in training new Student Life staff
- Staying current on best professional practices and connecting with counterparts at other institutions.
Candidates should have a master’s degree or higher in social work or a counseling related field and a commitment to Christian higher education and the mission and values of Hesston College. Candidates should be relational, organized, an excellent communicator and have a keen awareness of developmental stages and mental health challenges within a residential academic setting. Ideal candidates are relational communicators with experience in crisis intervention and clinical experience with youth or young adults.
This 9-month position begins August 2023 and is benefits eligible. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until filled. To apply, send letter of interest, application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE