Having recently concluded a record-breaking season, the Hesston College Softball program has received its share of post-season accolades, with freshman Amy Bretado’s first-team NJCAA All-American selection topping the list. A freshman from Whittier, Calif., Bretado smashed the career Hesston home run mark in just one year, connecting for 19 home runs – good for fourth in the nation at the NJCAA, Division II level – while also breaking the single-season RBI record with 64.
Chelsea Smith, a freshman pitcher from Tacoma, Wash., was named conference Freshman of the Year after going 20-5 with a 2.05 earned run average and a single-season school-record 235 strikeouts. Smith’s strikeout mark led the KJCCC and ranked 4th nationally. Smith and Bretado joined Jessie Miranda (Turlock, Calif.), Lexi Avalos (Yucaipa, Calif.), Kaylen Lassley (Salina, Kan.), Paige Bittle (Folsom, Calif.) and Coach Andrew Sharp as all-Conference selections.
The Larks went 34-13 in 2019, capturing a share of the Kansas Jayhawk Conference title.
- Amy Bretado (fr): first team NJCAA Div. II All-American, first team all-district (DP), second team all-conference (utility)
- Chelsea Smith (fr): first team all-conference (pitcher), first team all-district, and KJCCC freshman of the year.
- Andrew Sharp: KJCCC coach of the year
- Jessie Miranda (fr): first team all-district (infield) and second team all-conference (ss)
- Lexi Avalos (so): first team all-district (outfield) and second team all-conference
- Kaylen Lassley (so): first team all-district (utility) and second team all-conference (3b)
- Adrianna Ruiz (so): first team all-district (infield)
- Paige Bittle (fr): second team all-district (infield), honorable mention all-conference
- Anyssa Aguilar (fr): second team all-district (outfield)
- Sadie Leatherman (fr): second team all-district (catcher)