Campus Community Programs
Activities provide a change of pace from the daily routine of academic work, broaden students’ interests and promote creativity and growth.
Campus activities are planned, coordinated and carried out by the student activities director with the assistance of the Campus Activities Board (CAB)—several selected students. The goal is to offer activities that provide opportunities for fellowship and recreation to all members of the campus community.
A wide variety of events are available throughout the year including movie nights, s’mores roasts, coffeehouses, bowling nights, roller skating parties, Feast of Carols, capture the flag and dances. In addition, CAB plans many non-traditional events with input from the larger student population and academic departments.
The college views these activities as an integral part of each student’s mental, social and physical development. Spouses and immediate family members of students living off campus are also invited to participate in many of these activities.
Other Campus Activities
- Music – A wide variety of musical opportunities are available to students through Bel Canto Singers, Hesston College Chorale, Concert Band, pep band and student-organized singing groups.
- Intercollegiate sports – A member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA), Hesston College competes with a variety of college and university programs, but mainly other junior colleges in Kansas and surrounding states. Hesston offers the following sports: women’s soccer, volleyball, basketball, tennis, cross country and softball; men’s soccer, basketball, baseball, cross country and tennis.
- Student publications – The Lark (yearbook), the Hesston College Horizon (online newspaper), and the Journal of Writing and Art (literary magazine).
- Drama – The Theatre program stages several productions during the year including a musical in alternate years. Participation is open to all students.
- Intramural athletic events – Everyone can get involved in intramural volleyball, basketball, indoor soccer, floor hockey, racquetball, softball and tennis.
- Clubs – Any student group with a faculty or staff sponsor may appeal to Campus Activities Board for status and support as a campus club. Past clubs have encouraged fellowship around topics such as baking, Ultimate Frisbee, philosophical discussion and cultural heritage.
Other Campus Events and Resources
- Hesston-Bethel Performing Arts – The Hesston-Bethel Performing Arts series is sponsored by Hesston College and Bethel College in cooperation with the cities of Hesston and North Newton. Five events during the year present world-renowned performers. All full-time students are given a free season pass to HBPA events.
- Art – The Regier Friesen Gallery in Friesen Center exhibits a rich variety of art in displays that change regularly. Exhibits often deal with social and religious issues. The annual student art exhibit is held at the end of the spring term. The gallery is located in Friesen Center and is meant for the enrichment and enjoyment of everyone. The Hesston College Art Collection, including the Paul A. Friesen Collection, provides a rich visual resource for the campus.