Explore Kansas! 2017 is a special Eight Wonders of Kansas tour to Topeka and Kansas City Saturday and Sunday, June 24 and 25.
Relax and enjoy an outstanding Kansas summer weekend of art, sports, cuisine, history, architecture, worship and music!
The 2017 Explore Kansas! Eight Wonders of Kansas tour is an exclusive overnight trip to northeast Kansas that includes learning about or stops at 15 Kansas Wonders winners/finalists. It culminates at the Kansas Mennonite Men’s Chorus (KMMC) Sunday concert at the historic and sacred Grace Episcopal Cathedral, Topeka.
The weekend trip includes:
- Village Tours round trip charter bus service, including cinnamon rolls and juice for the 6:30 a.m. departure.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, a first-class nationally rated museum with 28,000 comprehensive artifacts, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Knackies of Inman sandwich lunch with all the trimmings following our time at the museum.
- Hesston Day at The K for the Kansas City Royals vs.Toronto Bluejays afternoon game (1:15 start). Seating assistance provided, curbside drop off/pick up and elevator service at the game. Be sure to bring casual and comfortable clothing as well as sun screen for the day.
- Check in at Crown Plaza Hotel after the game
- Dinner at a Kansas City classic, Stroud’s (Fairway, Kan.), for pan-fried chicken!
- Saturday evening lodging at The Crown Plaza Hotel, downtown KC. Breakfast Sunday morning is on your own at downtown locations, full hotel breakfast or a moderately priced hotel coffee/pastry/continental option available as well. Dress for the worship service and afternoon concert.
- 10:30 a.m. worship service at Community Christian Church, Kansas City. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the church building features the Spire of Light. Tentative special music presentation by HC professional baritone Tony Brown!
- Noon Sunday lunch at Woodyard Bar-B-Que, as featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
- Travel to Topeka. Windows of Comfort presentation at First Presbyterian Church, Topeka, featuring art wonder Tiffany Windows. Also learn about the Kansas Capitol’s John Steuart Curry murals and native Kansan Poco Fraizer’s Justice statue.
- Kansas Mennonite Men’s Chorus 3 p.m. concert at the historic and sacred Grace Episcopal Cathedral, Topeka with post-event church presentation.
- Travel from Topeka to Hesston with a fast food stop for supper (on your own). Estimated 8 p.m. Hesston arrival, June 25
All this for $160 per person (based on double occupancy lodging)! Reservations encouraged ASAP and no later than Friday, June 9 (no refunds past this date). Cost may adjust slightly depending on final reservation numbers. Sunday morning/evening meals on your own. Call Alumni Relations at 620-327-8147 or 866-437-7866 to register and pay by check/credit card. First come, first served!