If you want music to be a significant part of your college experience, you are eligible to audition for a Hesston College Music Scholarship. A successful audition will demonstrate your strong background, commitment to ongoing musical development and desire to be a leader.
Music Scholarship Audition Days will give you a preview of music opportunities at Hesston College. Awards range from $1,500 to $3,000.
We offer the following audition dates:
- Friday, November 27, 2015
- Friday, February 12, 2016
- Friday, March 18, 2016
- By appointment (Priority given to students who audition by April 1, 2016.)
You will perform your musical selections for the Hesston College music faculty.
- Voice -Perform two memorized selections, one classical and one contrasting classical or musical theater selection. An accompanist will be provided.
- Piano, Organ, Classical Guitar -Perform one memorized selection of your choice. The work must be from the standard repertoire.
- Woodwind, Brass, Percussion -Perform two contrasting selections from the standard repertoire for your instrument. Memorization is not necessary.
Audition days include the opportunity to interact with music faculty and students, attend classes and music ensemble rehearsals, and have a master lesson with an applied music instructor.
You may also schedule a choir audition to be held the same day. (This is a separate audition.)
Ask a teacher or mentor to complete and return this recommendation form (PDF) within two weeks of your audition.
Recipients of music scholarships agree to actively participate in the Hesston College music program. Requirements include:
- Membership in a music ensemble each semester, accompanying a choral group, or accompanying private voice lessons each semester
- Enrolling in private lessons each semester
- Demonstrating leadership among peers within the music program
Students who maintain at least a 2.75 grade point average and remain in good standing in the music program may renew their scholarships as sophomores.
Audition tips for the savvy musician
- Approach the audition like a job interview. Put your best self forward.
- Over prepare. You will never look back and wish you had spent less effort preparing.
- Dress for success. Present yourself like you would in a formal recital.
- Be ready to talk about your musical goals. How can Hesston College help you attain these goals? We want to get to know you and know how to best serve you.
Why should I come to Hesston College?
- Outstanding performing ensembles
- Experienced, professional faculty who address the needs and interests of each individual student
- Private instruction in voice, piano, organ, guitar, woodwind, brass and percussion
- Solo, recital and conducting opportunities
- Tours throughout the U.S. and Europe