Volleyball team ready to compete

Hesston Larks volleyball player Sierrah Long goes for a kill

Excitement is buzzing around the Hesston College volleyball program this year. Head Coach DeeDee Landes is excited about her team for the upcoming 2017 season.

“We will be able to compete at a high level and I know that these girls have put a lot of time and effort into conditioning this off season and coming in ready to play.” Coach Landes says. “They will work hard to get better on the court and use every opportunity to learn life lessons. That gets me excited.”

In hoping to build off of her first year leading the team, Coach Landes expects her sophomores to be keys to the success of this season. Freshman will also to play vital roles, Landes asserts. “I am really excited to coach this team this year,” Landes says. “It is my first complete class that I have recruited and so I feel like I know each girl and her family a little more than last year which is exciting to me.”

With the cohesion built last season, a quality off season and the new and exciting connection with all of the players, the Larks hope to better their 2016 record of 14-16.

Larks Volleyball will take the court in their annual Maroon and Gold scrimmage at 4:30 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 19, in Yost Center and will host a scrimmage with McPherson College at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 23. They start their season at Lamar (Colo.) Community College Tournament Friday, Aug. 25, and open at home the following Wednesday vs. Neosho County Community College.