Hesston College athletic director Joel Kauffman announced the July 16 hiring of Myron Diener, a 1979 Hesston College graduate, as men’s and women’s tennis coach. He will succeed Jeron Baker, who resigned after five years at the helm of Hesston Tennis.

“I’m excited to have Myron as our men’s and women’s tennis coach,” Kauffman said. “He has a passion for tennis and knows the game well. He also has a strong interest in working with and mentoring student athletes.”

“I am honored to return to this setting that I experienced 35 years ago,” Diener said. “To have an influence on a group of students who have chosen my classroom – the tennis court – is a blessing.  The opportunities at Hesston are many – academics, arts, music and sports, to name a few. The students at Hesston are the significant part of a unique experience.

Diener spent the previous 15 years as senior statistician at Sanofi Pharmaceuticals, Kansas City, Mo. The position with the Larks is his first head coaching job at the college level.

“Certainly all those involved in sports find motivation in the natural competition existing in this venue,” Diener said. “I’m also motivated to see the gradual improvement that an athlete can experience through focused training, hard work and commitment. The result likely will not lead to Wimbledon, but can be evidenced through a higher first serve percentage, lower net clearance, deeper ground strokes, faster foot work, cleaner ball strikes, etc. I’m excited to have the opportunity to influence these improvements and observe the results.”

Coach Diener and his wife, Donna, reside in Hesston. They have two daughters; Kaci ’13 and Dusti, who will enroll at Hesston in August.