Hesston College art gallery features Tabor College faculty

Michael Phillips, art faculty member at Tabor College (Hillsboro, Kan.) is the latest local artist to have his works displayed in the Hesston College Friesen Center gallery. Phillips’ life-like drawings, paintings, clay work and wood sculptures will be displayed through Dec. 15.

A reception and chance for the public to meet the artist will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Nov. 17 in the gallery.

Phillips received his Bachelor of Fine Arts in painting and sculpture from the University of Kansas (Lawrence). He worked as an artist in Seattle for several years before attending Bible college and setting his art aside to work in ministry in Thailand for 20 years.

Phillips’ pieces reflect images of his life – landscapes, animals and people – in Kansas and Thailand.

In his artist’s statement, Phillips said the desire to create is something that has been a part of him since he was a young boy.

“At this time, I feel a need to spend more time working in the arts; it is certainly one of my greatest loves and gifts,” said Phillips. “As a couple, my wife and I plan on returning to Thailand to continue assisting in the works we have already birthed. We will also proactively work to build relationships with Asian artists and continue to show my art internationally.”

The gallery is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.