Rhodes named as new Hesston College Volleyball coach

Kristin Rhodes of Kansas City, Kan., is Hesston College’s new volleyball coach. Athletic Director Art Mullet announced the hiring July 20. Rhodes begins her assignment August 10.

A 2001 Hesston College graduate, Rhodes played basketball her freshman year and volleyball her sophomore year. She continued her volleyball career, playing two years while completing her bachelor’s degree in psychology at Goshen (Ind.) College in 2003.

Since graduation she has served as a child and adolescent case manager and an independent living youth specialist at Madison Center for Children in South Bend, Ind. She worked for a year as a special education para-educator in the Turner Unified School District (Kansas City, Kan.) then worked for a year as the district’s homeless liaison before accepting the coaching position at Hesston. Rhodes has coached volleyball and basketball at a variety of levels over the last four years.

“I have a passion to coach at the college level,” Rhodes reports. “It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years, and especially at Hesston. I look forward to helping the girls have the Hesston experience that I had. My years of college athletics, especially my year playing volleyball at Hesston, were my best athletic experiences.

“One of my most important goals is to make the girls better athletes and better people. The things that you learn about yourself as an athlete are incredible–time management and social skills as well as attitude management–learning to control yourself spiritually, physically, mentally. I want to make sure that I address the personal aspects of being an athlete. I also hope to continue and build on the success of the program that Coach Vanessa Schroeder built.”

Rhodes succeeds Vanessa Schroeder as Hesston College’s volleyball coach. Schroeder compiled a 224-196-1 record during 11 years at Hesston College.

Athletic Director Art Mullet looks forward to working with Rhodes. “I’m very pleased that Kristin has chosen to lead our volleyball program. She brings a variety of skills and experiences that will serve her well in this position. Vanessa has developed a very competitive program here over the years, and I believe Kristin will continue that tradition.”

“It’s an honor to be chosen for this position,” Rhodes added. “Hesston College is my second home. To be able to take over a program that helped shape me into who I am is a blessing. I’m so excited!”